Whether you’re flying solo or growing your startup, there’s a community of changemakers eager to connect and support you along your journey. Join us at these events — many virtual so you can attend from anywhere in the world — and start engaging with our global impact + innovation ecosystem!
IMPACT HUB NETWORK EVENTS
- This event has passed.
Carbon sequestration & biodiversity: valuing & managing carbon-rich systems
October 13, 2020 @ 15:30 - 17:00 CDT
International and national climate mitigation policies have seen a growing interest in approaches to carbon accounting and investments in carbon-rich systems. Increasingly this interest includes a focus on the importance of carbon stored in biodiverse systems, as well as the value of integrating biodiversity and other values into new carbon investments.
Our speakers will discuss the concept of ‘green’ and ‘blue’ carbon accounting in biodiverse systems and explore new approaches to integrating biodiversity, social and cultural values with carbon accounting. They will also examine the impacts of the 2019-20 fire season on Australia’s carbon budget, how carbon stocks are impacted by a changing climate, and strategies for ensuring biodiverse carbon sinks are sustainable and resilient to future shocks.
- Pep Canadell – Chief Research Scientist, CSIRO and Executive Director, Global Carbon Project
- David Lindenmayer – Deputy Director, Threatened Species Recovery Hub and Research Director, ANU Sustainable Farms
- Rowan Foley – CEO, Aboriginal Carbon Foundation
- Rachel Morgain – Knowledge Broker, NESP Threatened Species Recovery Hub
- Sonia Bluhm – Knowledge Broker, NESP Earth Systems and Climate Change Hub
The Climate Change, Fire, and Biodiversity webinar series is a collaboration between the NESP Threatened Species Recovery and Earth Systems and Climate Change Hubs.