Whether you’re flying solo or growing your startup, there's a community of changemakers eager to connect and support you along your journey. Join us at these events — many virtual so you can attend from anywhere in the world — and start engaging with our global impact + innovation ecosystem!
IMPACT HUB NETWORK EVENTS
You Have More Influence Than You Think with Vanessa Bohns
September 27 @ 11:00 - 12:00 CDT
You Think: How We Underestimate Our Power of Persuasion
We welcome Vanessa Bohns for a discussion on her new book “You Have More Influence Than You Think: How We Underestimate Our Power of Persuasion”
Vanessa Bohns, social psychologist and professor of organizational behavior at Cornell University, argues that despite the popular opinion that we need to gain influence in order to get what we want, we actually already have it—we’re just not using it mindfully.
Drawing from her original research she illustrates why we fail to recognize the influence we have, and how that lack of awareness can lead us to miss opportunities or accidentally misuse our power.
Weaving together compelling stories with cutting edge science, Bohns offers science-based strategies for observing the effect we have on others, reconsidering our fear of rejection, and even, sometimes, pulling back to use our influence less.
Vanessa will share:
- Why people are more likely to agree to do things for you than you think—and why that’s not always a good thing
- Why we underestimate the impact of our presence on others
- Why we don’t ask for help at work—and how we can be better at it
- The unappreciated power of embarrassment, and why it makes us do crazy things (like leave a table when we’re choking)
- Why it’s so hard to say “no”—especially to someone in a position of power
- Office politics, generational in-fighting, and work relationships in the era of #MeToo
- How to avoid WFH burnout
- Why we need to get better at saying “no” to avoid perpetuating systemic inequalities
- The underappreciated power of positive feedback at work and beyond
OUR SPECIAL GUEST
Vanessa is a social psychologist and professor of organizational behavior at
Cornell University, and holds a PhD in psychology from Columbia University and an
AB from Brown University. She is the author of You Have More Influence Than You
Think: How We Underestimate Our Power of Persuasion and Why it Matters. Her
writing has appeared in the New York Times and Harvard Business Review, and her
research has been featured by the Wall Street Journal, the New York Times, and
NPR’s Hidden Brain.
The Nasdaq Entrepreneurial Center is a 501c(3) public charity whose mission it is to make entrepreneurship accessible to all. We deliver world-class resources and mentoring to enable every entrepreneur across the globe to realize their maximum potential. Please join us and make your gift to ensure these transformative programs may continue to reach the underserved.