Open Project Night: Achieving Gender Equality in Houston and Beyond
Impact Hub Houston is proud to bring you a monthly opportunity to come together to work on solutions for some of Houston’s most pressing issues. Our city is full of changemakers across all ages, cultures, skillsets, and industries. This is your chance to conned and collaborate for the greater good.
Open Project Night has been hosted across the Impact Hub global network for a few years, and we are carrying the torch locally to support #Changemakers, #SocialEntrepreneurs, and #ImpactSupporters in their efforts to create the change they wish to see in the world.
Here’s how it works:
- New theme each month in line with the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
- Anyone can sign up to participate (whether you have an idea/project or just want to provide feedback, advice, or support)
- 1-2 guest speakers will kick-off project presentations
- Open Mic for anyone else to pitch will follow (2 min max per pitch)
- Everyone moves to the virtual working room for open networking & collaboration
March’s theme is SDG 5: Gender Equality
SDG 5 from a global context: https://sdgs.un.org/goals/goal5
Event Schedule // 5:00 PM-6:30 PM CST
5:00-5:30pm Open Networking
5:30-5:55pm Project Presentations + Q&A
Your Open Pitch should be max of 2 mins each and answer the following questions before the community can provide feedback:
- Brief personal introduction + What is your project/idea?
- What stage are you currently at? (idea/testing/implementation etc)
- What are your next series of steps?
- What are you currently looking for in the way of talent/skills from the community?
5:55-6:25pm Move over to the Working Floor to connect and collaborate with other changemakers.
6:25pm-6:30pm Closing and Next Steps
About Our Guest Speaker
Choose to DO, Inc. is a nonprofit that mentors underprivileged youth 9 – 19 years old. Our mission is to focus on the physical and mental benefits of positive thinking while exposing our youth to new life experiences. Breaking the Cycle is a program made up of 5 classes, that promote self-love and leadership among girls and boys 9 – 19 years old. In 2020, Choose to DO, Inc. started online classes to provide at home instructions, as an extension of our initiative.
Subject Categories: Self-Esteem, Leadership, and Development.
Founded by Dozie Oheri: “I started the organization because I was frustrated with the lack of care that I witnessed working and volunteering in the nonprofit industry, and with that frustration, I decided to create my own nonprofit to build healthier relationships between nonprofits and the communities they served.”