HOW #OPNHOU WORKS
Open Project Night (#OPNHOU) is a monthly event convening Houston’s changemakers and collaborators around ideas for improving Houston. Through this event, people working on impact-oriented projects, ventures and solutions can connect with a mix of civic-minded designers, developers, hackers, advocates and organizers to share ideas, get feedback, and work together to achieve greater impact.
What types of projects can I find or present at #OPNHOU?
- An app to increase engagement in viewing Houston’s art scene
- A petition for Houston civic and corporate leaders to recognize the need for climate action
- A program seeking mentors to encourage youth entrepreneurship for low income students
- A non-profit organization that empowers black women pursuing careers in medicine
… And many, many more, from idea stage initiatives to MVPs to ready-to-scale projects.
Do I need to have a project of my own to attend?
No, not at all! In fact, #OPNHOU is most effective when we have a diverse mix of presenters and collaborators.
Come if you are:
- Keen to meet different people who care about making Houston a better place.
- Want to work together with others to make changes happen in your area.
- Want to find out about volunteering and work opportunities.
- Want to find volunteers or recruits for your project
What does each presenter need to prepare?
- Introduce yourself: What is your project, idea, or venture; and what does it aim to achieve?
- What stage are you in?
- What are your next steps?
- How can the community help you (with skills, connections, etc.)?
Do you provide food and/or drinks?
Anything I can bring?
- Your curiosity and ideas
- Materials to present your project, if you want to
- An open mind and collaborative spirit to work with new and old friends