August 21 - 9:00End:
August 22 - 16:00Event Category: Click to Register
Innov8social and Join the Journey
Calling all changemakers and social entrepreneurs driven to find new ways to uplift communities and alleviate poverty in a post-pandemic world.
Join participants from hubs around the world for a two-day virtual Impactathon® where you have a chance to deepen your understanding about what causes poverty locally and globally and work in teams to develop solutions.
Poverty, in this moment
Since launching this unique Impactathon in early June, covid19 cases have surged and systemic racism has emerged as a global movement. Poverty is a critical part of this story. Estimates for global poverty have been increased by 50M attributed to covid-19 (Brookings).
An Impactathon focusing on the mindset of “building an inclusive future”
For this 16th Impactathon® Innov8social is partnering with Join the Journey, an international empowerment organization, to take participants on a journey of discovery– diving into realities much of the world faces living day-to-day without stable electricity, water, and paved roads–and exploring how covid-19 affects these issues. Teams will work together to ask questions, research existing solutions, identify gaps, and brainstorm and build approaches to build a thriving future using innovative strategies and existing technologies in a sprint-to-the-finish 24-hour push. Teams with the best solutions can earn cash prizes.
Hear from a handful of speakers and mentors who have started social enterprises and impact organizations that have helped hundreds of thousands of people. You will hear their candid experiences in how they navigated unique challenges with an entrepreneurial mindset.
No background in social impact is required. Bring a deep curiosity, a sense of empathy, and a problemsolving mindset. We will walk you through design-thinking approaches to understanding a problem and developing solutions. If you have ever felt a deep desire to create positive impact, whether locally in your city or globally for the world, this event was designed for you
Don’t have a team? Don’t worry. You’ll have an opportunity to pair up either in the lead-up to the event or in the first few hours. This Impactathon is about inclusion…and we want you to feel included!
Friday, Aug 21st 2020
12:00 pm EST | 9:00 am PST | 7:00 pm Nairobi — Kickoff & welcome
12:30 pm EST — Release of scenarios + Impact Talks
1:15 pm EST — Virtual speed networking & team formation
2:00 pm EST — Impact Workshop + teams complete Milestone 1
3:15 pm EST — Pitch deck overview
4:00 pm EST — Impact Catalyst informal panel talks and OH + hackathon group time
Saturday, Aug 22nd 2020
10:00 am EST | 7:00 am PST | 5:00 pm Nairobi — Day 2 welcome + Milestone 2 + Pitch slot signup
10:45 am EST — Impact Talk
12:30 pm EST — Team tech checks
1:00 pm EST — Final pitches
4:00 pm EST — Winners announced + Judges’ comments + closing remark
*agenda is subject to change
Impact Talk Speakers include
- Mike Sehzue, Partner at Global SouthxSouth, Founder of Miseh Distilling Company. Social Entrepreneur, Impact Investing Advisor.
- Julie-Anne Savarit-Cosenza, Founder & Executive Director of the African Education Program. Systems thinker in poverty alleviation.
Impact Catalysts and Panel Speakers include
- Ezenwayi Amaechi, PhD, Assistant Professor, Entrepreneurship, Johnson & Wales University, Market Strategist. Social Entrepreneur.
- Heather Arora, M.S. in Organizational Behavior, Founder of Purple Plants. Impact Ecosystem Builder.
- Marc Alain Boucicault, Founder and CEO at Banj. Impact Ecosystem Builder.
- David Babbs, PhD Social Work (Social Innovation), Activist, Macro, Veteran. Educator.
- Brendan Barbato, Startup pitch expertise, Brand & Partnerships. Social Entrepreneur.
- Chuck Brown, Founder of Orion Consulting, Social Enterprise Alliance Board Member. Impact Ecosystem Builder.
- Nick Brown, Founder at Clear Purchase. International Payment System Expert.
- Theresa L Carpenter, Navy Public Affairs Officer, Communication Professional, Advocate for women and companion animals.
- Adam Cole, Founder of Join the Journey, US Navy Servicemember. Social Entrepreneur.
- Gloria Ferrer, International Economic Development Specialist, Partner at COMPETITIVENESS. Founder of KINADONA. Social Entrepreneur.
- Miloni Gandhi, Founder and Principal International LLC, Adjunct Faculty Foothill College. Impact Ecosystem Builder.
- Andrew Hening, Co-founder Opening Doors Marin, Director of Homeless Planning & Outreach San Rafael. Systems Thinker.
- Prasad Jaladi, Chief Facilitator of Suraksha.Social Entrepreneur.
- Cate Johnson, Founder ArborRevolutions, Innovation Catalyst, Advisor, Facilitator. Impact Ecosystem Builder.
- Mary Patrick Kavanaugh, Director of Special Projects at Soka University. Impact Ecosystem Builder.
- Mark Lovett, Founder of Storytelling with Impact, TEDx organizer. Impact Storyteller.
- Mwihaki Muraguri, Storysmith, Principal at Paukwa House. Impact Storyteller.
- KP Naidu, VP Benetech Labs. Poverty Alleviation Systems Thinker.
- Pamela O’Brien, Director of Development at African Education Program, International Development Strategist.
- Adeniyi Oluokun, Co-founder at Consulting Youth, Co-founder at Access Drive. Social Entrepreneur.
- Mark Papia, Head of Content & Communications at iMerit Technology Services. Social Intrapreneur.
- Neetal Parekh, Founder of Innov8social, Host of the Impact Podcast, Author. Impact Ecosystem Builder.
- Brian Walker, Founder of Culture Bridge, Social Intrapreneur. Social Impact Ecosystem Builder.
- Leon Wang, M.S. in Biomimicry, ABAR Intersectional Environmentalist. Impact Ecosystem Builder.
- Gillian Foster Wilkinson, Microfinance Learning Manager at HOPE International. Microfinance Specialist.
- Radha Basu, CEO of iMerit Technology Services, Founder of Frugal Innovation Lab at Santa Clara University.
- Will Harris, CEO of Willpower Consulting, Chairman of Willpower Humanitarian Foundation.
- Grace Rodriguez, CEO/Executive Director of Impact Hub Houston, Advisor to Social Enterprises
- Eric Van Trump, Board Member at Join the Journey, Entrepreneur.
Join the Journey is awarding cash prizes of $2,000+ to top teams.
Who Should Attend
- Social entrepreneurs with proven ideas and traction who are looking to scale their work.
- Student changemakers
- Young Professionals looking to learn more about social enterprise
- Experienced/retired professionals seeking to leverage expertise for social good
- The veteran tech community
- Faith-based groups seeking to serve through social innovation
Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
The Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), were adopted by all United Nations Member States in 2015 as a universal call to action to end poverty, protect the planet and ensure that all people enjoy peace and prosperity by 2030.
SDG Goal 1 is Eliminating Poverty. From the UN, “The decline of global extreme poverty continues, but has slowed…. People who continue to live in extreme poverty face deep, entrenched deprivation often exacerbated by violent conflicts and vulnerability to disasters. Strong social protection systems and government spending on key services often help those left behind get back on their feet and escape poverty, but these services need to be brought to scale.”
Open to All
This event is open to all participants and is not based upon participant race, religion, ethnicity, socio-economic background, sexuality, and gender.
We welcome aligned partners to share Impactathon with their communities and be featured in our marketing efforts. To learn more about how to become a media partner, email [email protected] or [email protected]
Impact Report + Sponsorship
Read the Impact Report to learn more about this event and the impact we seek to co-create! We welcome community and corporate sponsors to make this event come to life. Contact us to sponsor a team, sponsor an award, or be an in-kind supporter. Email [email protected].
More about past Impactathons here.