We hope you have been taking advantage of the resources we’ve shared on the http://HOUimpact.com app, on LinkedIn, and on Facebook. We’re doing our best to keep you updated and prepared for whatever comes next. As a global network, we are lucky to have the infrastructure in place to cooperate and act around the world. All Impact Hubs are implementing health and security protocols to support their local communities. We are also leveraging our virtual platform with a group dedicated to all things COVID-19, providing a safe space for open sharing of questions, assets, and best practices that we can then share with you.
To continue serving you locally through the coronavirus COVID-19 sequestering, we’re working to move our events, resources and support online, and are postponing any major celebrations. Our team will reassess policies on a weekly basis and share updates via newsletter, our Global and Local apps, and social media.
While we scale back on in-person meetings, we plan to scale UP on knowledge exchange and resource sharing online. Since Day 1, we’ve been dedicated to meeting people where they are, and practicing radical collaboration, inclusion, and equitable entrepreneurial support. Now, more than ever, we are committed to helping you access the resources and opportunities you need to survive this and thrive beyond it. If you’d like to be the first to know about new resources or updates as they evolve, please join us on http://HOUimpact.com — we are offering this app for FREE to the Greater Houston community to connect and collaborate! (* Impact Hub Members: You get a private group for special mentoring sessions, and still receive free access to any of our virtual workshops! *)
To stay safe, informed, and get help in the Greater Houston area:
- Houston Public Media has a dedicated coronavirus page for live updates, 24/7: https://www.houstonpublicmedia.org/coronavirus/. It includes a guide from PBS on ways to talk to children about the outbreak, and bilingual information from the CDC.
- The Houston Health Department has opened up a hotline for questions about COVID-19. Call 832-393-4220 Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. Staff can answer questions in English and Spanish; follow up in other languages; and will return voice messages left after hours.
- The SBA is working with states to provide targeted, low-interest loans of up to $2 million to small businesses and non-profits severely impacted by the coronavirus.
- Affected artists and performers may be eligible for Disaster Unemployment Assitance (DUA). Self-employed artists are also eligible. You just need a contract, 1099, or W-2: https://twc.texas.gov/jobseekers/disaster-unemployment-assistance
- Please continue to follow the protocols set by the CDC: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html. While no actions can completely eliminate the possibility of illness, please wash your hands frequently; avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth; and cover your mouth and nose when you cough or sneeze. If you have to travel: https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel.
- If you or your neighbors need help getting food, go to https://www.houstonfoodbank.org/covid19/for food-access information and a map of partners near you who can help.
- Finally, here’s a continuously updated list of conference cancellations or postponements: http://bit.ly/covidconfcancellations
We believe that this crisis offers our city and community the opportunity to focus resources towards solving not just for the pandemic, but also for some of Houston’s already-existing issues, from public health and wellness to learning and resource accessibility to mobility disparity to entrepreneurial funding and support. To that end, we’re adding special programs and making vital resources available online for you to continue connecting, ideating, and developing your solution and business through this time…and beyond:
For Our Members and Community:
For Our Members:
- We will continue to work with you to make sure that you are leveraging your benefits to address current challenges and minimize any disruption to your business. Please search your inbox for the invitation to the private Impact Hub Houston Members Group on http://houimpact.com, or contact us directly if you need specific help.
- Regarding work spaces: Please try to reschedule or move any non-essential office visits online; and avoid the spaces entirely if you feel ill. If you still need a space to meet IRL, please contact Michelle. Help keep our community safe and healthy so we can all keep doing the work we love!
If you know of any resources and opportunities that we can help share for entrepreneurs, small businesses, nonprofits, creatives and freelancers to maintain their work, livelihood, and mission from the safety of home, please post it in http://HOUimpact.com or send it to us at firstname.lastname@example.org
It has always been Impact Hub’s vision to catalyze collective action for a better world. Now, more than ever, we must unite through compassionate leadership and collaborative action to strengthen and support our communities. Please take care of yourselves, your neighbors, and your local businesses and entrepreneurs. When Hurricane Harvey hit, we came through it together. Together, we’ll survive this, too! #HoustonStrong
Here for you and wishing you well,
Grace, Michelle, and the Impact Hub Houston community
P.S. Make a little “me-time” to give your body and mind a break from the stress. Pick a moment to meditate. Stretch it out with some home-office yoga. Do a hair toss and dance it off. Or grab a good book to get your mind off of things — I recommend “Love in the Time of Cholera”: https://amzn.to/2WpZIaq (link benefits Impact Hub Houston!)
Want to get more while giving back? Join our Work-Trade Team! It’s so much more than the typical volunteer gig: As a member of the Impact Hub Houston Work Trade Program, you’ll get the opportunity to showcase your skills while putting them to good use for a good cause!
We offer a variety of roles that allow you to plug in and help build an inclusive impact-centered community while building your network:
EVENTS LEAD – 5 POSITIONS AVAILABLE
Event Leads help activate Impact Hub Houston with events and meetings. They play an important role in ensuring that Impact Hub serves as a reliable, accessible event space for the entire Houston community. Through this role, Event Leads provide hands-on assistance to community partners and clients, learn best practices for running events, and receive support to plan and execute reoccurring monthly Impact Hub Houston events.
EXPECTATIONS: Event Leads commit to supporting 1 recurring event per month for a minimum of 3 months and report to the Director of Operations. Event Leads commit to volunteer for ~16 hrs per month (4hrs/week) to fulfill the required need. In exchange, you receive an Impact Hub Houston Community Membership and all of its associated benefits.
- Help track and update event themes, and create agendas to ensure events run smoothly
- Liaise with guest speakers and sponsors to collect bios, headshots, and partner logos (when applicable)
- Coordinate with Marketing team on graphics and social media outreach
- Ensure event registration links are published and updated across all platforms
- Help promote the respective event with personal network
- Engage with and answer questions for registrants and attendees
- Coordinate and manage event logistics, including catering, A/V, set-up, check-in, and clean-up
- Advise Director of OPS on additional volunteer needs
- Post-event: Update event dashboard and help draft thank you emails to participants and stakeholders
- Meet with Leadership to debrief after each event
Strong communication skills in order to coordinate events, some space layout design experience/talent, organized, and punctual.
WORK-TRADE: In exchange for supporting our team, you’ll receive:
- Community Membership that offers you Impact Hub benefits and coworking access for the duration of your Work-Trade commitment
- Curated, thoughtful introductions to the movers and shakers in the Houston social enterprise community
- Portfolio pieces and references from leadership for your resume
- Free access to Impact Hub Houston events and programs
- Impact Hub Houston swag
HOW TO APPLY
If you are not yet an Impact Hub Houston member:
- Complete your Impact Hub Houston membership application: http://houston.impacthub.net/membership/
- Email your resume to Michelle Avalos and specify which event you’re interested in leading.
Already a Community Member? Send your resume to Michelle and specify which event you’re interested in leading.
Thank you for taking your support of Impact Hub Houston to the next level!
Houston, TX – Impact Hub Houston, a locally rooted, globally connected 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to empowering diverse changemakers and social entrepreneurs, has joined #GivingTuesday, a global day of giving that harnesses the collective power of individuals, communities and organizations, to encourage giving and to celebrate generosity worldwide. Every year, on #GivingTuesday, millions of people across the globe mobilize to show up, give back, and change their communities. The goal is to create a massive wave of generosity that lasts beyond that day, and touches every person around the world.
Impact Hub Houston is building an innovation ecosystem that inspires, connects, and empowers all people working on solutions towards any of the 17 United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). To date, the social enterprise has collaborated with over 40 organizations, grown to nearly 50 members, and reached 358,000 people.
Impact Hub Houston invites Houstonians to #GiveBack by taking time this week to volunteer for an organization that supports an SDG they are passionate about. Impact Hub also invites Houston’s changemakers to join their community to connect with peers and mentors who can help them validate their ideas and build sustainable business models around their solutions so they can forge their own paths to economic resilience and wealth, create jobs and opportunities for others, and successfully participate in the innovation economy.
To help Impact Hub Houston help more diverse changemakers launch their solutions and grow their impact, please donate this #GivingTuesday at https://houston.impacthub.net/donate/!
About Impact Hub Houston (https://houston.impacthub.net)
Impact Hub Houston is a locally rooted, globally connected, nonprofit startup development organization that aims to make Houston a role model for how the world solves its most pressing issues. A member of the Impact Hub global network—the world’s largest community recognized by the United Nations for accelerating entrepreneurial solutions towards measurable and scalable impact for the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)—Impact Hub Houston intentionally designs places, platforms and programs to build an inclusive innovation ecosystem and empower diverse changemakers, social entrepreneurs, and impact supporters to create the change they wish to see in the world.
GivingTuesday is a global giving movement that has been built by individuals, families, organizations, businesses and communities in all 50 states and in countries around the world. GivingTuesday harnesses the collective power of a unique blend of partners to transform how people think about, talk about, and participate in the giving season. It inspires people to take collective action to improve their communities, give back in better, smarter ways to the charities and causes they believe in, and help create a better world. GivingTuesday demonstrates how every act of generosity counts, and that they mean even more when we give together.